Dragon Boat Festival falls on the 5th day of the 5th month on the Chinese lunar calendar. Chinese people call the Dragon Boat Festival – Duan Wǔ Jié 端午節. It is summer time when the Dragon Boat Festival comes. Let’s take a look at the Dragon Boat Festival celebration in Taiwan. Miss Panda finally got to see the Dragon Boat Race in person. Ge Ge 哥哥and Mei Mei 妹妹with the whole family took the challenge to participate in the standing the eggs game at noon. it was an amazing experience and WE DID IT! Let’s look at the pictures, learn the facts about Dragon Boat Festival and experience this culture adventure.
Question: What is Dragon Boat Festival?
Chinese people call Dragon Boat Festival – Duān Wǔ Jié (端午節). It is a day to commemorate the patriotic poet, Qu Yuan (屈原) from the Warring States period (戰國時代) of China. A story that Chinese children enjoy on this day is the story of the White Snake (Bái shé chuán 白蛇傳).
Question: When is Dragon Boat Festival?
Answer: This festival occurs on the fifth day of the fifth month on the lunar calendar. Check out the dates from 2016 to 2019.
Jun 9, 2016 | May 30, 2017 | June 18, 2018 | June 7, 2019
Question: What activities do Chinese children do on Dragon Boat Festival?
Answer: Chinese children watch the dragon boat race, wear sachets with Chinese herb powder insert and play the game of standing the eggs at noon.
Question: What food do Chinese people eat on Dragon Boat Festival?
Answer: Chinese people eat Rice balls wrapped in the bamboo leaves with various fillings inside. These rice dumplings are called Z̀ong Zi 粽子 in Mandarin Chinese. People cook them in two different ways, they are either steamed or boiled. There are salty filling with meat, sweet filling with red bean paste, or plain one without any filling inside. Traditionally, this is the day to drink realgar wine. For kids, the adults will put a dot of realgar wine (yellowish color) on their foreheads to prevent disease and evil spirit.
Words and Phrases to know about Dragon Boat Festival – Duān Wǔ Jié – 端午節
1. Dragon Boat Festival – Duān wǔ jié 端午節
2. The patriotic poet commemorated on the Dragon Boat Festival – Qū Yuán 屈原
3. Drgaon – lóng 龍
4. Dragon boat – lóng zhōu 龍舟 or lóng chuán 龍船
5. Dragon Boat Race – huà lóng zhōu 划龍舟
6. Rice balls that people make and eat on the Dragon Boat Festival – zòng zi 粽子
7. to eat a rice ball – chī zòng zi 吃粽子
8. Sachets that children wear on Dragon Boat Festival – xiāng bāo 香包
9. to wear a sachet – dài xiāng bāo 戴香包
10. The plant that hangs on the doors on Dragon Boat Festival – wormwood – ài cǎo 艾草
Happy Dragon Boat Festival!
Learning resources for Dragon Boat Festival
Sotry : The Story of the Dragon Boat Festival (in Chinese characters and pin yin with audio in Mandarin Chinese)
*Post updated in 2016*
Author: Amanda Chia-Chen Hsiung-Blodgett, Miss Panda
©2013-2016 Chia Chen Hsiung-Blodgett / Miss Panda Chinese All Rights Reserved.
The following two tabs change content below.
Amanda “Miss Panda” is the founder of Miss Panda Chinese and author of the "Let's Learn Mandarin Chinese with Miss Panda!" CD/MP3 audio program. Amanda is a dynamic language instructor with over 15 years language teaching experience. She created Miss Panda Chinese to share teaching materials that she has developed and used in the classroom and at home with parents and teachers who are also on the exciting bilingual education journey.
Latest posts by Amanda Hsiung-Blodgett (see all)
- A Bilingual Family Journey Interview with Mingjung Chen and Joweina Hsiao - October 20, 2016
- Playful Learning Theme – Happy Halloween & BINGO Game - October 13, 2016
- Exploring Homemade Chinese Dishes with Chef Katie Chin’s Everyday Chinese Cookbook - October 11, 2016