2013 is the Chinese Year of the Snake. Did you know that in Chinese culture the “Year of the Snake” is also known as the “Year of the Little Dragon?!”
Here is a Fun Spiral Snake craft you can make at home with your child. I have created the design for you to print out on stock paper.
What you need:
1. Stock paper any color
5. Hole punch
6. Sequins in various colors (optional)
1. Print out the spiral snake design on stock paper. I used the 65 lb red stock paper and it worked well.
2. Cut the snake pattern along the spiral line. Start cutting from the right hand side of the snake and cut all the way up to the second last circle. The black circle in the middle is the mark for hole punch.
3. You only need to cut the left hand side of the snake head and stop at the top of the head. Make sure you don’t cut the snake head off.
4. Punch a hole at the end of the spiral as marked and pull a string through as a holder.
5. Cut the lucky phrase and fold along the line in the middle. The black hole is a mark for hole punch so you can pull the string through and tape it in the back of the snake head.
6. Decorate the body of the snake with sequins. (optional)
Chinese words, phrases, and sentences to have fun with while working on the craft:
1. snake – Shé 蛇
2. dragon – Lóng 龍
3. little dragon – Xiǎo lóng 小龍
4. Year of the snake – Shé nián 蛇年
5. Year of the little dragon - Xiǎo lóng nián 小龍年
6. This is the year of the snake. – Jīn nián shì shé nián. – 今年是蛇年