Fun in the Kitchen with Miss Panda!
Let’s Make Traditional Chinese Dumplings
餃子= jiaǒ zi = dumpling
Dumplings are delicious! I love to make dumplings with my kids. They have created dumplings in different shapes and they all taste great. Making dumplings can be a family event. One person can pad water to the edge of each wrapper, one person can put the fillings in the middle of each wrapper, then one or more people can seal the wrappers and complete the making of dumplings. After you make about 20 or more you can start boiling the water and cook them. We always make about hundred or more dumplings each time and freeze the extra ones for a health snack or a meal. Now, you can make this traditional northern Chinese dish at home. Happy cooking!
50 round wrappers
1 -2 pounds ground chicken (options: ground turkey, pork, or beef )
½-1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
2-4 cloves garlic minced
1-2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
3-5 tablespoons soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 egg beaten (optional)
5 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage (1 whole)
1. In a large bowl, mix the shredded cabbage with 1 tbs salt. Stir and combine well. Set aside for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze out the water from cabbage.
2. In another large bowl, combine ground chicken, ginger, garlic, green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil and egg*. Mixed well.
3. Add salted cabbage.
4. Place 1 teaspoon of chicken filling onto each round wrapper. Moisten the edge with water and fold edge over to form a half circle shape. Pitch side to seal in filling. Set dumplings aside on a lightly floured surface until ready to cook.
5. Freeze the dumplings if needed.
1) Gently put dumplings in boiling water.
2) Stir carefully occasionally.
3) Cook for about 12 to 15 minutes.
4) Add ¼ cup of water in the pot when the water is boiling 2-3 times.
5) When the dumplings are floating they are ready. 6) Serve with dipping sauce immediately.
** For left over try the pot sticker style: heat 2 tbs of oil, place the dumplings on the frying pan. 1-2 minutes per side until slightly brown/crispy.
Enjoy! This Recipe is from Grandma Panda!
Do you know when the cooking method varies the name of the dumpling dish changes?
Boiled dumplings are called …Shuǐ jiǎo 水餃
Boiled dumplings in the soup are called …Tāng jiǎo 湯餃
Steamed dumplings are called …Zhēng jiǎo 蒸餃
Pan fried dumplings are called …Jiān jiāo 煎鮫
(c) 2013 Miss Panda Chinese All Right Reserved.