Paper cutting is a fun project for children. Younger kids will need some adult assistance. Here is a simple paper cutting craft I do with children for the Chinese New Year. It is a 3D cutout of the Chinese character for “spring.” This is a craft that you can use to decorate the house or the classroom.
Paper Cutting Project: Chinese character 春 = chūn = spring.
What you need:
1. Colored printing papers: Red is always the best color for the Chinese New Year.
2. A pair of scissors
3. String or ribbon for hanging (optional)
Here are the steps:
1. Click on the printable image below and print it on colored paper.
2. Fold two triangles and crease well. Cut the extra part on top and make the paper a big square. Then fold the paper in half from the left then from the bottom.
3. Push the left and right sides in and form two big triangles back to back. Then flatten the two triangles with template side up.
4. Fold the triangle in half. (shown in the left). Then cut out the shaded parts (shown on the right). You can cut tip of the top off and thread a string or ribbon through for hanging.
5. Now open it up and you have the finished project!
Words and Phrases that you can use while doing this craft:
English – Traditional Chinese characters – Pinyin
spring – 春天 – chūn tiān
spring festival – 春節 – chūn jié
paper cutting – 剪紙 – jiǎn zhǐ
craft – 勞作 – láo zuò
paper – 紙 – zhǐ
color – 顏色 – yán sè
colored paper – 有顏色的紙 – yǒu yán sè de zhǐ
scissors – 剪刀 – jiǎn dāo
to cut – 剪 – jiǎn
to fold – 折 – zhé
to open – 打開 – dǎ kāi
Culture note that applies to this craft:
© 2014, Amanda Hsiung-Blodgett, Miss Panda Chinese All Rights reserved.
Here listed below are more Chinese Lunar New Year Culture Resources: